Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dia de la Abby #21: Pumpkin Skull

Halloween is in 10 more days, so I thought a carved skull pumpkin was in order.



You all probably know by now how much I love Dia de los Muertos, but in case you don't, I'll fill you in. I'm not of Hispanic decent, but I love the meaning behind this holiday. Showing this level of respect and honor for our deceases relatives is not something that I was raised to do, but I feel I must, because with out them, I wouldn't be here. Whether I knew all of them or not, I'm fortunate that they helped form the person I am today. For this particular design, I chose a sugar skull design for the skull and decorated the remaining area of the pumpkin with flowers reminiscent of Dia de los Muertos shrines. For information on how I carved this pumpkin, see the tutorial.



Every week in the 4.0 year, I will be post my own Dia de la Abby posts as well as a tutorial with instructions on how I made my piece. Hopefully you feel inspired by my posts just as I was by Noah's Skull-A-Day 1.0 daily project. Need more of me than just a weekly dose, follow me on Twitter and/or Facebook.

No comments: