Friday, September 10, 2010

[Flashback Friday] 3. Sir-Skull-A-Day

Welcome to another addition of Flashback Friday.** This year the guest editors, Azurafae, Tatman, and myself, Citizen Agent, are taking turns counting down our personal favorite 17 skulls from the Original 365.25 Year. So please join us as we visit the archives and add our additional commentary on some of the original pieces.

#4: 3. Sir-Skull-A-Day

Rewind C says:

This, for me, has always been and maybe always will be the skull that defines the original project since it was the one that began it for me. As Noah talked about in his post here, I was one of those who received that email announcing the project. I did a little digging and was able to pull that email out of my Skull-A-Day archives to share with you.

While this piece was created a couple of years after this happened, it is hard to think about this skull without putting it into that historical context. Besides, announcing that audio tapes are dead, this piece is representative for being the first in a series of what can be thematically grouped as “dead media” that was skullified throughout the original project year. From computer diskettes, to a reel to reel machine, to a TV, Noah explored the accumulation of objects that our society no longer sees as useful. It is powerful to think about how the objects we use everyday maybe the items that define our current existence one-thousand years from now, are looked to as junk. Will our future selves laugh at our objects and call us primitive, or will they see us as geniuses that helped move human culture to its next evolutionary level. For now however, these objects will survive as art.

**Flashback Friday was a weekly countdown of the fan selected top 52 skulls of Skull-A-Day 1.o. Each week during year 3.0 The Skullmaster posted the original skull along with some additional commentary in order from lowest to highest rated, with the #1 skull appearing in the last week of year 3.0, all 52 can be found here.

2 comments:

Noah said...

Wow, I can't believe you still had that original e-mail I sent, how cool!

I_was_Bill_Once said...

Two things, first - awesome skull. Second, this was my favorite single from the 6th grade until it was stolen with my parents car in the 8th grade. Wow. Just wow. And now, I'm mildly obsessed with skulls.